From the Kitchen of Amy Rothenberg ND
I live in a very fertile Connecticut River Valley and the farm fields and neighbors’ gardens and my own back yard overflow with all kinds of berries depending on the summer month. I try to take advantage and make different kinds of treats, like these summertime muffins. Great with a cup of tea, hot or iced!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup honey
- ¼ cup rice syrup
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup plain yogurt
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour or all-purpose gluten free flour
- ¼ cup oat bran, whole oats, wheat germ or ground flaxseed
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup combination of fresh blueberries & strawberries chopped up (or more)
Put all the dry ingredients in one bowl & stir until mixed.
Mix all the wet ingredients in another bowl & stir until mixed.
Combine! Stir but don’t over do it, just until barely blended.
Throw in the berries for one more intermix.
Place in oiled muffin tins & bake 15-20 minutes, depending on your oven and how juicy the berries are.